Our history began in 1946 as the Barton Contracting Company. Originally we were a road construction company focused on building Minnesota's interstate highway system. For more than 20 years, Barton Contracting Company worked in all phases of highway construction including grading, concrete and bituminous paving, curb and gutter manufacturing and sewer and water installation. When highway construction activities began to subside in the late 1960s, Barton Contracting Company shifted its operations from road construction to materials supplier.
Barton Sand & Gravel Co. and Commercial Asphalt Co. replaced Barton Contracting Company; and in 1977 an asphalt cement storage facility to store and distribute asphalt cement was built in South St. Paul under the name Barton Enterprises, Inc. In 1981, Tiller Corporation was founded to act as a holding company for Barton Sand & Gravel Co., Commercial Asphalt Co. and Barton Enterprises, Inc.
Today, the company has over 15 aggregate operations and 10 asphalt plants located throughout the greater Minneapolis – St. Paul metropolitan market. We employ in excess of 225 employees and manage operations that span approximately 4,500 acres of land. Tiller Corporation employs full-time staff to monitor aggregate quality, ensure environmental compliance and to protect natural resources during production. Tiller Corporation has received local, state and national environmental & safety awards for exceeding industry standards in safety at their sites and on the road.